Monday 9 July 2012

DRIVE: MC Riders of the Philippines

There are different views and opinions in choosing motorcycles as your primary vehicle whether going to work or to any other place you want to visit.  First reason I heard that its fuel efficient, with the rising cost of the fuel; it’s a no brainer to own one.  Second probably is the traffic condition, one can simply zip thru the traffic and can still be on time.  There are other positive reasons to own a motorcycle but as for me, safety is my primary concern why I chose not to own one.

I drive and commute all the time and saw the aggressive boom of the motorcycle here in the Philippines.  Here on this blog, I will discuss/share my point of view of these new breed of drivers.

Meet the MC Riders of the Philippines:

MC Rider #1:  The Maze Rider
I am amazed by the skills of this type of rider on how they maneuver their ride and zip thru between the cars.  How many times that my side mirrors got hit by them?  I already lost count.  Worst case was they didn’t bother to apologize; they will just go with their life as if nothing happened.

Why can’t just they stay at the back of the car and wait for the traffic to flow just like what everybody else is doing?



MC Rider #2: The PED Rider

The PED Rider (or Pedestrian Rider) is somehow unique.  They use the pedestrian lane instead of the road.  The pedestrian can be in big trouble when these riders showed; they even honk their horns to say GET OUT OF THE WAY!

There’s a reason why pedestrian lanes are elevated from the road and it’s built specifically for them - for their own safety while walking.










MC Rider #3:  The Counterflow-ers

The worst of them all.  They don’t understand the meaning of solid lane in the middle of the road.  They think their invincible that nothing can harm them.  There’s a lot of risk for this type of rider.  One is they making it hard for the drivers of the on coming traffic; second, they might be a chance that they will get into accident with their fellow Maze Rider.

Riders, please take note that illegal or unauthorized counterflow has a fine of P2,000.00 for the first, second and third offence.  You can check www.mmda.gov.ph for more information.






MC Rider #4:  The All-In-One Rider

Motorcycles are designed for one and some can accommodate two.  Accommodating three or more is insane, specially for those riders that bring along their toddlers and their infants – I know its sound crazy but it’s true.

Please, if you need to bring your entire family for a trip, use PUJ/PUB or taxis for the sake of your safety.  You can’t turn back time when worst case scenario happened.


MC Rider #5:  The Frontriders
MC Riders #1 to #4 turned up to be MC Rider #5, The Frontriders.  They usually end up in front of the traffic and blocking the pedestrian crossing lane.






Some says that you will not understand certain things in life if you don’t have first hand experience on it.  Well to understand these MC Riders will probably not happen to me.

To all riders reading this, I hope you did not get offended by my blog instead will serve as a lesson for you to drive carefully in the streets.

To all non-riders, I do hope you did have a lot fun, just what I did when writing this.

P.S.  I do apologize for the simple illustration; I don’t have the skills of a graphic artist.





No comments:

Post a Comment